Sunday 8 February 2009

Dose 3...The Wallabee Champ

"Why is the sky blue? Why is water wet? Why did Judas rat to Romans while Jesus slept?"

Last night the legendary Ghostface Killah made a trip upstate. Nah, Mr.GFK isn't in trouble with the law (at least to my knowledge), rather he was putting on a show at a small liberal arts college. The school, with its mainly upper-middle class white population, seemed like the perfect venue for Pretty Toney to showcase his paranoia-induced rants about surviving in the jungle that is the Shaolin Projects (unfortunately since I don't have my copy of 'The Wu Manual' by RZA I can't give a better geographical reference point). Luckily for portions of the student body that may have felt alienated by such themes, it has been almost 15 years since the Wally Don (38) spit the first verse on Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers). In this time, Ghost Deini has put out 7 solo albums and 5 others with the Wu, so the students had an ample selection to choose from. Though I couldn't make it there personally, representatives of the Bear Camp attest to the Iron Man's maintained eminence on the mic. As such, I thought it fitting that today's dose could come out of P-Tone's incredible body of work...

1)The Mask by Danger Doom Feat. Ghostface

I've got to confess that I am, have been, and probably always will be a fan of MF Doom's production and in many cases his baritone nonsensical verses. Furthermore, I am also a big follower of Adult swim, and when the concept of this album (The Mouse and Mask) was first brought to my attention, I thought I had it all. "The Mask" is an exemplary showcase of the three men (Dangermouse, MF Doom, Ghostface Killah) involved's individual talents. Dangermouse lays the beat with a funky breakbeat over Franco Micalizzi's "Sadness Theme", while Doom and Starky Love offer lines about the identities they must keep secret.

Best GFK verse:

As I stroll the globe and terrorize the planet
With a Bill Clinton mask and them Playskool hammers
Me and DOOM, always be the best on the landin'
Superhero's for life, until our souls vanish

http://www.badongo.com/file/7240373

2)Impossible by Wu-Tang

This is quite possibly my favorite Ghost verse ever. It's filled with the type of emotion that only a great producer like RZA can draw out. In an interview with Ryan Dombol, of Pitchfork Media, the RZA alluded to this point.
"Listen to how Ghost sounds rappin' over one of my beats and then over another beat... he sounds like a grown man [on my beat] and he sound younger on [other] producers' beats because they don't know the frequency." Dombol would go on to argue that this was not the case, referring to the maturity that GFK shows on 'Fishscale' (maybe not on "Heart Street Directions"), but this simply isn't the case. The relationship that Wu members have with one another, and specifically with the RZA, is time tested and proven by each rapper's prowess on their collaborated efforts.

Best GFK verse:
When we was eight, we went to Bat Day to see the Yanks
In Sixty-Nine, his father and mines, they robbed banks
He pointed to the charm on his neck
With his last bit of energy left, told me rock it with respect


http://www.megaupload.com/?d=761JESES

2 comments:

  1. Huge Ghost Deini fan. You definitely hit his strongpoints perfectly, but I think you're skipping over Fishscale too quickly... There are some creative and mature verses in there (Big Girl, Underwater). Not to mention the crazy beats that back him up. Regardless, I am most certainly going to check out that that Doom, Dangermous and Ghostface collabo. Fa Sho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Augie One,
    Fishscale is an amazing album and probably my favorite GFK LP, if I had to choose, but I was trying to say that this isn't all the Ghostface out there. Too true, his solo albums are live, but some of his collabo's with the Wu Familia, especially with DOOM, are lesser known but worth a shot.

    BDB

    P.S. If you dig that DOOM/Ghost song check this out...http://www.nialler9.com/2007/01/17/ghostface-vs-mf-doom-album-still-coming/... GFK and MF were working on an album in 2006, potentially named DOOM/STARKS, which seems to have fallen through, but there are a list of their previous work on there.

    ReplyDelete